Monday, September 27, 2010

"Why'd you leave the 3rd one standing?"

I have so many memories of Uncle Lincoln; I don’t know where to begin. I guess I’ll start with what was most important. He always treated me like his own daughter. I always felt that he wanted me to do my best, just like he wanted Brooke to do her best. When Rodeos came around, he entered me into everything he entered Brooke into and let me ride the Roan Mare just like she was mine. Rodeos were a great time for me because of Uncle Lincoln. He taught me how to barrel race, pole bend, ribbon rope, and hide race. He almost let me ride a steer once too, but after a steer busted open Brooke’s knee, he decided he wasn’t going to let me ride that steer after all. After seeing all the blood, I was pretty glad I had to forfeit my ride. Each time I saw the caterpillar sized scar on Brooke’s knee, I was glad he didn’t let me ride.

One particular time I remember barrel racing at the 24th of July on the Roan Mare. “Reece, you’re on deck”, said Uncle Lincoln. So I jumped on that mare and waited for my name to be called. “Ride hard, Reece.” He said as I gave that first hard kick to the mare. And I did. I rode so hard that I knocked down two of the three barrels! When I got back he asked, “Why’d you leave the 3rd one standing?!” I think about that each time I watch a kid knock over a barrel and it brings a smile to my lips. He probably wanted to kick my bum for being so sloppy with the horse, but he made a joke about it instead. I need to learn to use that same humor throughout my life when things don’t go as I had planned.
I also have many fond memories of gathering cattle. Those long days on the horses were better than Disney Land to me (although Aunt Linda did take me there too!). I can remember Cool Ranch Doritos and roast beef sandwiches with barbeque sauce-nothing tasted better! Uncle Lincoln always trusted Brooke and me to ride off by ourselves to gather the cattle on a certain side of the ranch. I know why now, Brooke is one heck of a cowboy(girl) and I guess she always was. It’s in her blood. He'd have trusted her to bring them all in by herself I think.

I can’t forget the 4-H experiences that Uncle Lincoln made sure I got. I would never have done 4-H lambs without him. He picked my animals and taught me how to care for them. Those were good experiences for me. They taught me how to show in front of a crowd and deal with defeats and triumphs. There are so many experiences, I can’t name them all. But I have to say thanks to Uncle Lincoln and Aunt Linda for being such an important part of my childhood.

Lots of Love,
Reecie

No comments:

Post a Comment