Monday, September 27, 2010

The Only Time I Got Even With Lincoln

Third time has got to be the charm, so I'll give it another try.

A long time ago, back in the 60s and 70s, Steve and I owned Steve's Service down on the main street corner just down from Linda and Lincolns.

It was a given that many men in town would come by daily to yak and pass out bits of wisdom (?) among themselves and to whomever would listen. (Worse than women by a long way!)

Anyway, I did the office work, bills, deposits, etc. in the back room. Invariably, Lincoln would sneak in, turn off the light and hold the door so I couldn't get out. Brat! Or, he would get in the cash register and swish his hands through the coins, making a racket and mutter something to the effect that there surely wasn't much money in there. Sometimes he'd hide behind the door and jump out and holler just to see me swear and make a fool of myself.

Oh, he was full of the devil. I loved it. I never could get even, except one time.

That one day stands out in my mind. He'd done something and I grabbed his hat. He high-tailed it outside and I grabbed the salt shaker and shook out some salt in it. I took it out to him, telling him he'd left his hat. He plopped it on his head and then all of the sudden, he jerked it off and hollered, "What did ya do to my hat?" I said I didn't know what he was talking about. He just paced around and around, rubbing his head, cussing a little (or a lot.) Can't remember. I guess the salt hadn't mixed to well with the sweat on his head and had burned that old bald head a little. (I really didn't intend to cause him any harm), but we all surely had a great laugh at his expense, even Link himself.

We had so many good times with Herman and Myrna, Dan and Syb, Charlie and Ruthe, Al and Shirley, Jeanne and Mike, Phil and Lana, Ken and Pam, Sam and Zora to name a few, going to Mazatlan (not his favorite place, but ours), playing cards, eating out, visiting, didn't take much to have fun. Always lots of hoopla and tall tales, and all with that toothy grin and devilish green eyes.

It has been quite the ride, my friend, one we will always treasure and remember.

Take care of your mom, you kids, and I'm sure you will.

Love you all.
Sharon (and Steve, of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment