Monday, September 27, 2010

What do you mean she can't use a KNIFE???

Those were Linc's exact words when he found out our
youngest daughter Whitney couldn't cut her own food. 
He was aghast that I, who was raised on a ranch and can wield a knife with great skill, had not taught my daughter how to do the same.. But believe you me it was not for a lack of trying.   I laughed as I sheepishly told him it was the craziest thing I'd ever seen. She could often out fish, and out shoot everyone in our family, but she couldn't get the hang of holding a knife. Did I mention she was around 8 years old? I will never forget that night. Linc made it his personal mission on this earth to teach her how to cut her own steak.  He had never seen anything so pathetic in his life, an 8 year kid that couldn't cut her own food. .
 Now I had never known Linc to be an exceptionally patient, or soft spoken man, nevertheless, he sat with her for almost an hour gently working with her through every single little step, until she finally got it.  That is a memory I will always treasure.
Here she is all grown up.
How would she ever have survived her life without Uncle Linc ??
I am Debbie's little sister, and because I am Deb's little sister, Linc treated me like his little sister too. How lucky I am to have amazing in-laws and out-laws, like the Sherwood's. ( I call the siblings of  my siblings spouse's  the out-laws.)
All of my Love, and Condolences
 to Linda, and the Kids,
Allison Balmes Dastrup

No comments:

Post a Comment